The consensus seems to be that folks would rather just skip this week and continue on next week. We'll just keep the same questions and continue where we left off.
Friday, May 22, 2009
Questions for chapter 15:
- M. A. and her companions are occupied with their own thoughts. How much do you dwell on the time you spend with the Lord and the things He says to you?
- What do you make of the provisions made for our journeyers? Who do think had been at the cabin so shortly before them? What does this mean to you?
- Why does M.A. immediately know who “The Voce” is? How does this indicate the change has taken place in M.A.?
- How does she respond?
- Why do you thing Fear, Bitterness, Resentment, Pride, and Self-Pity are running away?
- There is a new confidence in M.A. that is seen now. Where did it come from? How does it relate to question 5?
- Think about M.A.’s examination of the memorial stones and what she associates with them. How is this an encouragement for her? Does it give you ideas as to what to do for your own journey? Share if you care to.
- What do you think the flood represents?
- Why do you think M.A. becomes weaker as they continue their journey?
- Consider the Spring of Marah. What role did it play in the Old Testament? What role does it play now?
- What does coming to the place that had been appointed represent to you?
- What are you learning as you journey along with M.A.?
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Here is the link to last night's chat - Monday, May 18. Thanks to all who participated! It was really a great evening of sharing. I appreciate all of the input you all bring with you each Monday. I'll see if I can post this coming weeks questions sooner - please continue praying that I get over this latest flare. Hugs to you all.
Saturday, May 16, 2009
- What meaning did you find in the overhead aerial chairs? Take into consideration, their apparent frailness, M.A.’s seating arrangement, and her thoughts of being able to cast herself out of it.
- Have you ever felt you have been on the “Borderline” of the High Places?
- Consider M.A.’s first response to the waterfall. How did the Shepherd’s suggestion change the way she view it?
- Does self-giving equate with joy for you? Consider your answer and be prepared to discuss.
- What does the Shepherd do while He is with them this time that He had not done before?
- Consider Hurnard’s use of the “mist” at this point in the story. What does the Shepherd say about reality and illusion?
- What instructions does He give? How do we apply them to our own lives right now?
- How does the transfiguration change the way M.A. views the Shepherd?
- Why does He touch M.A.’s lips with a burning coal? Find Scripture to back this up.
- How do you think M.A. would have responded had she heard the Shepherd’s response to Sorrow and Suffering?
- What is giving M.A. her strong focus that she does not hear those words? What does that tell us about our own focus?
Thursday, May 14, 2009
Saturday, May 9, 2009
I feel I am letting you all down this week, but I am still ill. If I were to put questions together for you it would be a half-hearted attempt and this book deserves better that that.
Friday, May 8, 2009
Thursday, May 7, 2009
Jen IM'D me that the baby is just fine but extremely active, she/he was doing 360's and had hiccups during the ultrasound.
Please continue to pray for Ela, Jen's MIL even though she didn't go to the hospital but should have, she is still suffering abdominal pain and nausea every time she eats and can't afford to lose anymore weight. From what I gathered she hasn't been eating well ever since her surgery and that is not healthy. She is fighting having to go to hospital so am praying for a miraculous healing so she doesn't. Thank you for all your prayers.
Wednesday, May 6, 2009
I would appreciate prayer for 2 special women in my life. The first is my oldest daughter Jennifer. As some of you know she is expecting my next grandchild in October. Yesterday they couldn't hear the heartbeat, so are sending her in for an emergency ultrasound. Its our prayer that the baby was just too active to be able to hear it and that the baby is just fine and there will be NO COMPLICATIONS with this pregnancy (last time Jen became diabetic during her pregnancy as well as having to have a C-section to name a couple).
The second is for Jennifer's Mother In Law Ela(Elizabeth). She has recently undergone bowel surgery and is now having stomach problems. She is being hospitalized for a few days(it sounds serious and I don't have all of the info yet as its a sudden situation).She has become a wonderful friend of mine and a joy to my daughter an grandson. I pray that God heals her to spend many happy healthy years with our family. Ela has asked for prayer and I am asking all of you to join with me that she is miraculously healed and back home right quick to play wordscapper with me on facebook and plan wonderful gifts to make
for our grandchildren.
Thank you in advance for all your prayers.
Monday, May 4, 2009
AT THE FEET OF THE DRAGON
Waking from a nightmare,
Looking about the room,
I've such a sense of hopelessness,
Of fear and dread and doom.
The terrors still inside me,
As I reach to find the light.
I hear a sound, a quiet sound,
My eyes search out the night.
And slowly there before me,
A phantom figure grows.
I strain to see the shape it takes,
but my fearful heart, it knows.
It is my nightmare, once again,
A fearsome entity.
A dragon-monster, dark and grim
That no one else can see.
He chortles low, with rasping voice,
"You thought youd get away?
The time has come to face me child.
There is no other way."
"Time and again, we've met in dreams.
Time and again you've fled.
And since you will not bide with me,
I've come to you instead."
"This cant be real!" I fling at him.
You're just part of a dream!
His hiss is soft, his eyes grow dark.
"Things aren't the way they seem."
I glance around. I want to run.
I need to get away.
Yet something stirs inside of me,
Compelling me to stay.
I shout at him, "Who are you?"
I flail at him in vain.
"What is your name? Why are you here?
I beg you to explain!"
" Explain myself?" he scoffs at me.
"Explain my self to you?"
He hovers close. His dark eyes glare.
"That's not for me to do."
"And yet, I'll tell you who I am.
It matters not, you see . . ."
I feel the darkness all around
As he draws close to me.
"I've many names." The words spit out.
"You know me well it's true.
I'm all the things you run from child.
I'll number them for you.
"I'm fear of death, and dying too.
I'm pain from in the past.
I'm changes you cant bear to see.
I'm heartbreak that will last.
"I'm craven fear. I'm emptiness.
The void from which you hide.
Each terror you cant bear to face.
I'm all your fears, inside!
"And as you look inside yourself,
You'll find me there its true.
For every time you start to fear,
You'll sense me there. In you.
"The dark, the bleak, the unknown fear,
Will well up from inside.
But you can face me if you choose.
And then you can decide.
"To call my name and walk with me,
Or slay me as you will.
You'll conquer me as best you can.
But I'll be with you still.
"You've run in fear so many times,
But now that's at an end.
You need to hear the words I speak.
You need to call me friend."
"Make friends with you?" I want to shout.
"Make friends with all that pain?
I've put all that behind me now.
Theres nothing more to gain!"
But deep inside, I hear the words,
and know that they are true.
I bow my head, and murmur low,
"I've much to learn from you."
And as I sit and ponder on
the words he speaks, so wise,
I notice how my terror ebbs.
My fear's a smaller size.
And I can face the darkness now.
No longer run away.
I find I want to walk with him.
I find I want to stay.
Embracing fear, while frightened still,
Is finally what I've done.
And with this hope in front of me,
I'll walk from him. Not run.
I turn to face my dragon.
"I've learned a lot from you.
But this is not the end for us.
This much I know is true."
"One day soon, I'll know its you,
When fears begin inside.
I'll know you're not a foe to me.
There is no need to hide."
"And for your words and strength I'll reach.
I'll sit down at your feet.
I'll look into the depths of you
And say, 'Friend Dragon,
Copyright 1993 - Diane Hansen
I've had a few short emails from Lynne. From what I am able to understand from them she had a heart attack yesterday and is in the hospital. They need to do several procedures to assess heart damage, but are unable to as she also has a staph infection, I think from a medication that lowered her immune system. Please be in prayer for Lynne. In all of this, she wanted me to know why she would not be at the book study. I am awestruck by how confident she is, that in the midst of this, God is in control. Pray for wisdom for the doctors, and healing for her body. She IS in God's hands, and for that we can be grateful.
Sunday, May 3, 2009
So far we don't have enough folks to start the Sunday study of Hinds' Feet. I have decided to wait one more week to see if we have others who would like to attend. If we have three or more additional folks who'd like to attend that would be great! If we hear from folks this week, we will start next Sunday at 3:30, although several folks have said that is not a good time for them. Let me know if starting at 7:00 pm in the evening would be better as perhaps a switch is time is all that is needed for this to work.