Monday, March 16, 2009

Mornings with the Shepherd

The sun is just beginning to rise in the eastern sky. The early morning air is damp, dew settled comfortably on the blades of grass and spring flowers. You quietly slip into your clothes as not to waken anyone else in the house. You find your shoes and quickly lace them up. You know where you are going and who is waiting for you. You smile inwardly in anticipation of the greeting waiting for you. You begin to hasten as you see His shadowy figure ahead of you. You hear the sounds of the brook leading to the small pond. There He is! He is always there, waiting for you. His face breaks into a smile as He sees you approaching! You begin to run as you get closer, yet you slow down to a walk those last few steps. The sight of Him standing, staff in hand, is always so majestic. You come to him slowly, smiling. “Good morning, little one,” he says softly. You raise your eyes to him and gaze upon him. “Good morning, Shepherd.” You reply. You both begin to walk over to the log bench next to the pool. The sun inches it’s way from the horizon. The duskiness of dawn begins to fade. The sheep begin to stir and walk slowly towards the pool for their morning drink.

“What have you for me today, my Lord?” you ask. “I am here to do Thy will.”

He gazes at you compassionately, “I am glad you asked.”

“You know I need your guidance, Shepherd. Without You, I know not what to do. Or if I try, I do not succeed. I only meet frustration. You know I need You, Lord.”

“Yes, I know you need me. I am pleased that You are beginning to remember this, and come to me each morning.” He smiles.

You listen as He begins to tell you about your day and helps you order it according to His will.

No comments: