Monday, May 4, 2009

Poem referenced in Book Study: "At The Feet Of The Dragon"



AT THE FEET OF THE DRAGON

Waking from a nightmare,
Looking about the room,
I've such a sense of hopelessness,
Of fear and dread and doom.

The terrors still inside me,
As I reach to find the light.
I hear a sound, a quiet sound,
My eyes search out the night.

And slowly there before me,
A phantom figure grows.
I strain to see the shape it takes,
but my fearful heart, it knows.

It is my nightmare, once again,
A fearsome entity.
A dragon-monster, dark and grim
That no one else can see.

He chortles low, with rasping voice,
"You thought youd get away?
The time has come to face me child.
There is no other way."

"Time and again, we've met in dreams.
Time and again you've fled.
And since you will not bide with me,
I've come to you instead."

"This cant be real!" I fling at him.
You're just part of a dream!
His hiss is soft, his eyes grow dark.
"Things aren't the way they seem."

I glance around. I want to run.
I need to get away.
Yet something stirs inside of me,
Compelling me to stay.

I shout at him, "Who are you?"
I flail at him in vain.
"What is your name? Why are you here?
I beg you to explain!"

" Explain myself?" he scoffs at me.
"Explain my self to you?"
He hovers close. His dark eyes glare.
"That's not for me to do."

"And yet, I'll tell you who I am.
It matters not, you see . . ."
I feel the darkness all around
As he draws close to me.

"I've many names." The words spit out.
"You know me well it's true.
I'm all the things you run from child.
I'll number them for you.

"I'm fear of death, and dying too.
I'm pain from in the past.
I'm changes you cant bear to see.
I'm heartbreak that will last.

"I'm craven fear. I'm emptiness.
The void from which you hide.
Each terror you cant bear to face.
I'm all your fears, inside!

"And as you look inside yourself,
You'll find me there its true.
For every time you start to fear,
You'll sense me there. In you.

"The dark, the bleak, the unknown fear,
Will well up from inside.
But you can face me if you choose.
And then you can decide.

"To call my name and walk with me,
Or slay me as you will.
You'll conquer me as best you can.
But I'll be with you still.

"You've run in fear so many times,
But now that's at an end.
You need to hear the words I speak.
You need to call me friend."

"Make friends with you?" I want to shout.
"Make friends with all that pain?
I've put all that behind me now.
Theres nothing more to gain!"

But deep inside, I hear the words,
and know that they are true.
I bow my head, and murmur low,
"I've much to learn from you."

And as I sit and ponder on
the words he speaks, so wise,
I notice how my terror ebbs.
My fear's a smaller size.

And I can face the darkness now.
No longer run away.
I find I want to walk with him.
I find I want to stay.


Embracing fear, while frightened still,
Is finally what I've done.
And with this hope in front of me,
I'll walk from him. Not run.

I turn to face my dragon.
"I've learned a lot from you.
But this is not the end for us.
This much I know is true."

"One day soon, I'll know its you,
When fears begin inside.
I'll know you're not a foe to me.
There is no need to hide."

"And for your words and strength I'll reach.
I'll sit down at your feet.
I'll look into the depths of you
And say, 'Friend Dragon,
Teach.'"

Copyright 1993 - Diane Hansen

No comments: