Sunday, February 17, 2008

Roger Bennet: Seasons

I want to share with you an amazing blog posting I came across a while back. It is written by a man named Roger Bennett who died nearly a year ago after a many year battle with leukemia. Most of us do not face illnesses that are likely to kill as any time soon, but he talks about a lot of things that are familiar to us -- trusting God thru seasons of our lives. Here is an excerpt:

Here's where the trouble starts. Christians sometimes are the worst prepared people for set backs. That's the opposite of what God wants for us. I'm not telling you something I've heard, I'm telling you something I've lived. I was in remission 3 1/2 years and began to think that I would never have to deal with cancer again. But just around the corner, the relapse was waiting to ambush my body and spirit. The storm was fierce. I was weak and full of fear. But through some great wisdom shared with me I found an eternal truth. One word...seasons.

Ecclesiastes tells us one of the greatest truths of all time...to everything in life there is a season. A time to laugh, cry, celebrate, and mourn etc.... the wisdom my friend shared was this: Rejoice in this season of remission, rejoice in the humor of life...laugh as much as you can even if it's at yourself. Rejoice in seasons of rejoicing, but keep in mind the other truth, there will be seasons of mourning, seasons of tears, seasons when you feel that you are failing at everything, or nobody cares.

Read more...

This is his last post to his blog. His wife continues his blog to this day. They both sign off, "in His grip" -- which is a wonderful place to be.

No comments: